We have shared a sacred space with Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church since January, 2004, when their Pastors and congregation welcomed us in partnership. With the loving support and mentoring of our Rebbe, Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi, z”l, both congregations are committed to the practice of Deep Ecumenism.
Since 2004, our two small congregations have shared more than space:
- Together we provide material support to CIP (Colorado Infant Project) in Boulder County, including Thanksgiving dinner baskets to the CIP families most in need and baby supplies throughout the year.
- We have attended one another’s Shabbat, Sunday, and holiday services to learn about and offer loving support in each congregation’s religious practice.
- Shepherd Pastors have contributed to our High HolyDay services with blessing and conversation.
- Our Rabbis have participated in the installation of two Pastors at Shepherd of the Hills.
- In October 2017, Pastor Janet Kettering, Rabbis Victor and Nadya Gross, and Maggid Amitai Gross created an ecumenical service and hosted Rev. Matthew Fox, who preached on Deep Ecumenism and the Order of the Sacred Earth. (See article printed in Living Lutheran, Nov 2017 issue, PDF attached.)
- The Rocky Mountain Synod of the ELCA invited Pastor Janet, Rabbis Nadya and Victor and Maggid Amitai to lead their gathering in ecumenical prayer in May 2018. (for a video of the full service, click HERE)
- In January 2019, Pastor Janet joined Rabbis Nadya and Victor along with Hazzan Steve Klaper at the OHALAH Conference in Broomfield, in leading an Ecumenical Service for the more than 150 Rabbis, Cantors, Rabbinic Pastors and Jewish Spiritual Directors in attendance.
Pardes/Shepherd Study Group
- We engage in regular study together, choosing books that inspire deep conversation and exploration of one another’s faith and spirituality. The friendships that have resulted enhance our lives greatly.
Presently, we are reading Rev. Adam Hamilton’s book: Christianity and World Religions. Rabbis Nadya & Victor, together with Pastors Janet and Phil Kettering, will guide participants in six weekly sessions, including presentations on the chapters and small group discussions – on Zoom.
Session 1: Thursday, February 23rd, 6 – 7 p.m.—Intro & Chapter 1: The Wise Men
Session 2: Wednesday, March 1st, 6 – 7 p.m.—Chapter 2: Hinduism
Session 3: Wednesday, March 8th, 6 – 7 p.m.—Chapter 3: Buddhism
Session 4: Wednesday, March 15th, 6 – 7 p.m.—Chapter 4: Judaism
Session 5: Wednesday, March 22nd, 6 – 7 p.m.—Chapter 5: Islam
Session 6: Wednesday, March 29th, 6 – 7 p.m.—Chapter 6: Christianity
If you wish to join in this learning and relationship, please contact us at: email@example.com